I am a software developer with 7 years professional experience delivering solutions using a range of different technologies. I am passionate about good user interface design and building robust, maintainable software. I thrive when working under pressure and enjoy learning new technologies. I am always looking for a challenge.
Software Development Lead
The SEEMiS Group LLP, Hamilton
Software Development Lead
I started off at SEEMiS as a fresh faced graduate, just out of university. In my time here I have honed my skills with a variety of technologies while also gaining confidence in my abilities as a developer.
This role consists of developing and supporting Management Information Systems used in the education sector by all 32 of the Scottish Councils.
My main responsibilities have grown over time, they now include :
- Full software development cycle involving clients and teams of developers, from requirements capture all the way through to delivery. The development environment consists of Eclipse, JUnit, Ant, Hudson and CVS.
- Database design, implementation and optimization. The main database has always been Microsoft SQL Server, but MySQL has been used for a select few projects.
- Producing deliverable specifications from requirements which can be implemented by other developers.
- Testing of software; both during development and final integration testing using both manual and JUnit methods. This includes production of test plans for integration testing by other developers and client support team prior to deployment.
- Presentation of developments to Client Support Team and clients in a non-technical manner.
- Planning time using Scrum methodology to meet deadlines.
- Providing third tier helpdesk support.
- Mentor and advise other developers where required.
- Production of technically focused documentation for new and existing systems.
- Working with external organisations on projects such as data feeds.
- Working with the Infrastructure team on new projects and resolving issues.
- Configuration of application servers in a scripted and reproducible way.
AgilePM (2014) Foundation
Training ByteSize / APMG International
Oracle Certified Professional
2.1 BSc. Hons. Computer Science
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
Through my time doing professional, academic, and hobbyist software development I have worked with a wide selection of software technologies. I enjoy learning new technologies as required to meet requirements and try to keep up to date with both new technology and industry developments.
In addition to the technologies I have listed above as part of my day to day work, I also have past experience using: JAX-WS, JAX-B, Java EE 5/6, Glassfish, JBoss, ApacheDS, Axis 1.4 (with WSS4J), PHP, HTML, CSS (with LESS), Jekyll, Ruby and Python.